Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Sitting in a chair

So I have been reading lately (because we all know that I don't have any tv to watch) and I just thought I would share with you something I found just great and refreshing.
"...I recently heard a man, while explaining how a person could convert to Christianity, say the experience was not unlike deciding to sit in a chair. He said that while a person can have faith that a chair will hold him, it is not unitl he sits in the chair that he has acted on his faith.
I wondered as I heard this if the chair whas a kind of symbol for Jesus, and how irritated Jesus might be if a lot of people kept trying to sit on Him.
And then I wondered at how Jesus could say He was a Shepherd and we were sheep, and that the Father in heaven was our Father and we were His children, and that He Himself was a Bridegroom and we were His bride, and that He was a King and we were His subjects, and yet we somehow missed His meaning and though becoming a Christian was like sitting in a chair." - Searching For God Knows What, Donald Miller

I wonder how often I could be accused of comparing having a relationship with Christ like sitting on a chair. If that is as deep as my relationship goes then I don't have much of a relationship to speak of. I do understand how people us this comparison when explaining faith but knowing Christ and being His takes a lot more from me that sitting in a chair.

...just food for thought...

No comments: